After installing SSDT (SQL Server Data Tools) for Visual Studio 2015, I found my ability to develop SSIS packages for SQL Server 2012 in Visual Studio 2010 hindered by the following error:
It seemed that many online had already found that this was caused by a corruption of the GAC or Registration of the related DLLs, but required a clean/working installation of a SSIS development machine to provide a copy of the DLLs to fix the issue (Thanks to the original partial fix here). Not everyone has this luxury, so I'd like to provide the method I used to get this corrected for those who may be in a similar boat.
- Ensure all devenv.exe process instances are ended if you are using a shared machine before starting.
- Open up the IDE PrivateAssembly folder for Visual Studio 2010 (default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies). Make a backup copy of all Microsoft.DataTransformation*.dll files and then delete them from this location:
- Run the SQL Server 2012 Installation Repair from the installation media:
- Choose the "Shared Components Only" when selecting which SQL instance to work with: this will repair SSIS and other installed SQL tools:
- Once the repair installation completes successfully, run an elevated Visual Studio 2010 Command Prompt to access GACUtil. Run GACUtil with the install and force flags against all new Microsoft.DataTransformation*.dll libraries in the IDE PrivateAssembly folder mentioned above. The following command will automatically take care of this for you:
FOR /R %i IN ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.DataTransformation*.dll") DO gacutil /if "%i"
- Restart the machine
- Open VS 2010 and attempt your OLE DB (or other source component) edit again... which SHOULD be successful this time.