Part 1 – Services and Applications
Whether you are planning to install the Windows Azure Pack (WAP) Express edition and the Service Provider Foundation services (SPF) on a single server or multiple servers, you will need to obtain several prerequisites in order to efficiently deploy the Windows Azure Pack.
Perhaps the most important prerequisite would be an environment with Active Directory configured, and a server running System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2. The resource requirements for the WAP and SPF servers can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn469325.aspx. There are a number of items that require attention prior to a smooth install of the Window Azure Pack. Service accounts and groups, pre-installation of applications and roles on the servers and configuring the assigned resources are all beneficial to complete ahead of time.
Services and Account Groups
Applications and Services
A number of supported applications need to be preinstalled to allow the install to go smoothly.
- On the Windows Azure Pack Server
- Obtain the ISO or media for System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2
- Download Web Platform Installer 5.0 https://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx
On the Service Provider Foundation Server
- Obtain the ISO or media for System Center Orchestrator 2012 R2
- Download the WCF Data Service installer https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29306
- Several server Roles need to be enabled on the SPF server to allow the service to install and run
- Go to Add Roles and Features within Server Manager and select the Web Server Role
- Expand that role and under Web Server | Security make sure that Basic and Windows Authentication are selected
- Also select IIS Management Scripts and Tools
- Under the Features section ensure that .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5 are selected, as well as the following:
- Under WCF Services, check HTTP Activation, this will enable additional services as well
- Scroll down the list and select Management OData IIS Extension
- Accept and Confirm feature selection, these services and application will ensure that the install of SPF and WAP will run unhindered.
In the next blog, we will turn our attention to the fabric requirements within SCVMM 2012 R2 environment.